TSM Health Check Detailed Scan
Following a TSM Health Check Scan we can perform a detailed scan of the entire TSM environment. Before the detailed scan is performed we first have a meeting with the IT team of customer about what the expectations are, and what the results are of the scan using a pre-scan worksheet.
In this detailed TSM health scan which is limited to the TSM environment, we show how the workflows around the management of the TSM environment are implemented. Assess which procedures are defined in respect to changes or improvements, incidents and problems and how the work is actually performed and delivered.
Detailed documentation is delivered of components, software, servers, SAN switches and storage play a role in the TSM environment and of the networks through which clients access the servers.
After completion of the project will PLCS provide a report detailing addresses the issues investigated by the TSM environment, being include:
- Is the current TSM environment powerful and capable to foreseeable the growth of the amount of data tin the future?
- Are the disaster recovery plans current and they guarantee a successful recovery of the TSM server and clients?
- Are the retention policies in line with business requirements?
- Are the backup windows consistently met and in what aspect does this gives problems to the daily operations?
- Is successfully made use of all TSM features that apply to the environment?
This will include a number of drawings which included the TSM landscape through clear charting and diagrams show how the processes surrounding the management of the TSM environment actually takes place.
There will also be delivered a growth projection, (made by estimates on the basis of well-known growth numbers), the expected growth rate of the TSM environment of the customer. If the customer already uses Reporter for TSM, this historical data can contribute to the accuracy of this trend analysis.
The report in detail on all aspects of the TSM environment, including hardware, software, configuration as well as processes that need improvement.
PLCS will include the report in detail the proposed changes in the TSM environment and management procedures. It not only discusses what needs to be changed, but also how those changes should be performed and what the expected impact of these changes will be in time and results.
- Reduction of operational costs associated with backup / restore (lower TCO)
- Ensure that the disaster recovery procedures in line with business requirements (service level agreements)
- Transfer of knowledge from experienced TSM SME’s (subject matter experts)
- Planning for future backup / restore needs, pro-active instead of reactive
- Backup / restore capacity planning based on historical trends (see example)
- Higher utilization of existing storage resources attached to TSM (tape libraries, disk (sub) systems (higher ROI)
- More efficient use of the LAN / SAN / WAN
- Better and detailed reports on the RTO/RPO to contribute to a SLA on back-up and recovery expectations
Following the TSM Health Check Detailed Scan a Management Executive summary will be prepared containing the following items in a nutshell:
- Introduction of the assessment methodology used
- High level description of the current TSM environment
- Found problems and recommendations (both technically and economically)
PLCS will not in the context of the scan make changes in the TSM environment. PLCS will also not engage in the daily management of the TSM servers.
Whether or not to perform the TSM health check scan in all aspects, if in the end less time is required than estimated, this time can not be used to carry out other work.
PLCS will also not provide advice on which parts of the IT infrastructure of the customer what is not directly part of the TSM server environment. If the customer wishes to implement the changes recommended by PLCS this should be described in a separate proposal with a separate SOW and will be quoted separately as such.
To perform a full scan is a fixed number of ten (10) days of eight hours, plus one (1) working day per logical TSM server. At five (5) logical TSM servers is the project duration is fifteen (15) days. The days will be contiguous to the project with maximum efficiency to carry out.(1) A physical server can have multiple logical TSM servers. Since the work concentrated on the TSM software address is not the number of physical servers, but the number of instances of TSM importance for the required time.
This post is also available in: Dutch